Beginners Guide to Conducting an Online Live Stream Show
So after months of toying with the idea, you’ve finally decided to host your very own online live stream show – which is great, except… where do you begin?
Unlike a pre-recorded show, broadcasting live has its own unique set of challenges. Without any stopping or do-overs, a large component of a successful live stream boils down to your multitasking skills, ability to think on the spot, and of course, the preparation made for it.
Here are some tips and tricks to conducting a successful online live stream show:
Make A Checklist Of Reliable Equipment For Your Live Stream
(photo creds: Liza Summer via Pexels)
“I love it when there are technical issues during the live stream show”, said no one ever. This is why you should always ensure that you have the necessary equipment for the live stream that is not just good in quality, but reliable too.
- Camera for live streaming
- The most important part of the live streaming setup is the camera and is therefore the first upgrade you should consider. While your laptop or computer is likely to already have one built-in, the camera was designed for video chatting and not live streaming. As such, using your computer’s built-in webcam may result in a very grainy video feed if you were to use it for your live stream.
- Check out this list of the best cameras for live streams. If you’re not ready to jump into the deep end just yet, you can also use your mobile phone or tablet to record your live stream.
- Microphones for professional livestreams
- Especially for musicians who want to hold livestream concerts for their fans, having a good microphone is important to produce high-quality sound for your live stream. Here’s a list of great microphones for live streaming.
- If you’re planning on making your live stream sound professional, but don’t want any bulky audio equipment, you can also use a lavalier microphone instead that is small and clips onto your shirt. Here’s a list of reliable lavalier microphones that works great for live streams.
- LED Lights for high quality live streaming
- Good lighting is not only absolutely crucial if you want to get usable video during the live stream, it would also help you look fabulous! Check out these affordable LED lights on Shopee!
- Additional monitor to keep an eye on your live stream
- If you are live streaming from a computer, you’ll want to keep an eye on how your stream looks at all times. Having an additional monitor helps you to keep an eye on your live stream to make sure that you are on screen, in focus, and most importantly, that you are at your best angle.
- Video encoder for your live stream
- A video encoder takes your audio and video stream, packages it into a real-time video and displays it as a live video on the internet. For those who will be using a video camera for their live stream, it is likely that your video source does not come ready for live stream, which would require you to get a video encoder for it.
- You can read more about software and hardware video encoding here.
Choose The Platform For Your Live Stream Show
(photo creds: Ivan Samkov via Pexels)
Now that you’ve put together your live stream setup and are ready to open yourself up to the online world, the next step is to choose the platform that you want to use for your live stream show. Here are some of the popular choices of platforms for live streamers.
- As the second-largest search engine on the web, hosting your live stream show on YouTube can help you reach out to a wide audience and also interact with fans via the advanced chat features.
- If you already have a Facebook page with a sizable following, hosting your live stream on Facebook is a great way to communicate and build authentic relationships with your fans. Facebook is also a great platform for those who are looking to do live shopstreams to sell products.
- Used mainly by gamers, Twitch is a great platform if you are looking to stream your gaming endeavours live.
- TikTok is yet another platform that is gaining popularity among live streamers. It is a great platform for those who are looking to create relationships with their followers through Q&A sessions. However, do note that you will have to hit 1,000 followers before you can host your own live stream on the TikTok app.
Ensure You Have Stable Internet Connection For A Fuss-free Live Stream
(photo creds: Pixabay via Pexels)
Let’s be frank: nobody likes watching choppy videos. No matter how great your equipment setup is for your live stream, all of it wouldn’t matter if you have a bad internet connection resulting in a pixelated live stream. As such, having a stable internet connection is crucial for the success of your live stream.
Get someone to assist you during your live stream
(photo creds: Mentatdgt via Pexels)
It’s always a good idea to get help, especially when it’s your first time taking a step into the exciting realm of live streaming. Recruiting a trusted family member or friend to assist you with your preparations or during the live stream itself will help you take a huge load off your shoulders. Don’t forget to thank them or treat them to a meal for taking the time to help you out!
Do A Test Run Before You Go Live
(photo creds: Ron Lach via Pexels)
Always do a test run before you go live to make sure that everything is working well and that you understand how to control the live stream platform that you have selected. Let a trusted friend tune in to your live test run to gather feedback before you do it live for the public. This way, you’d know the areas that require your attention and improvement.
Always Remember To Have Fun!
(photo creds: RODNAE Productions via Pexels)
With zero do-overs, making mistakes during your live stream is inevitable for live streamers, both amateur and experienced alike. If you happen to fumble over your words during your live stream, always remember that everyone makes mistakes and that you will always be your worst critic. Putting yourself online is already a brave step, much less streaming live. So, instead of replaying all the mistakes you made on your live stream and blaming yourself for them, give yourself a pat on the back for doing it!
Being able to think on the spot and improving your live streaming skills come with experience. The more you stream live, the better you’d become at it. So don’t worry too much about saying the wrong things or not being able to host a perfect live stream show the very first time you do it. As long as you do your due preparations and keep going at it, you’re definitely on the right track!
Good luck all you aspiring live streamers!
Chinese Dance Fiesta 2021 FB Live
27 May 2021
3 Reasons Why It Is Never Too Late To Pick Up A New Musical Instrument
18 May 2021
5 Types of Income Streams For Musicians in Singapore
28 Apr 2021
Postponement Announcement (Orientale Concentus)
18 Mar 2021
SAFRA collaborates with SRMC (Sponsorship Programme)
11 Mar 2021